The course introduces the learner to the principles of Inclusive education. The idea of inclusion is one of the cornerstones of Finnish education.
During the course, the learner is introduced to the theoretical background of segregative, integrative and inclusive teaching practices, as well as provide a lot of practical tips for enhancing the inclusiveness of one’s own teaching.
The course calls for the active participation of the learner. The learner is invited to participate in discussions, conduct practical tasks, and share one’s own ideas.
The course is designed for teachers and other education professionals who are interested in getting to know more about the best Finnish education practices.
Learning objectives for the course
- Learn to appreciate and acknowledge diversity in the context of Early childhood education
- Become familiar with concepts related to belonging
- Reflect on your working methods and values related to education
- Learn to recognize different segregative, integrative and inclusive principles and gain tips on how to utilize some of the best Finnish pedagogical practices and working methods in your daily work
- Understand the benefits of Inclusive education for all
How will you learn?
The course includes a variety of activating tasks, such as open questions, video and audio materials, gaming, and working in collaboration with the other course participants.
The course includes practical tasks to be conducted with a group of children. If you are not working with children at the time of completing the course, this is not an obstacle for participation.
Course duration: approximately 4 hours of study
- Day 1: Course instructions, introduction, The diverse view of the world and the children, Different approaches to belonging (60 min, on-demand)
- Day 2: Equality and equity -section (30 min, on-demand)
- Day 3: Towards integrative practices (1,5 h, on-demand)
- Day 4: Striving towards Inclusion (40 min, on-demand)
- Day 5: Justifications for Inclusive working methods, Glossary, Concluding exercise, Additional resources (1,5 h, on-demand)
- Days 6-14: complete the course at your own pace.
Course start dates
You can start the course at any time.
How to sign up?
Buy the course from our online store. Once the payment is complete, you will receive an invitation email to our online learning platform where you will be guided through the course.